What is artificial stone? Let’s take a look at some popular artificial stones and their applications in our life.
1. What is artificial stone?
Artificial stone is a composite material made of crushed stone bound together by an adhesive, (most commonly polymer resin, with some newer versions using cement mix). This category includes engineered quartz, polymer concrete and engineered marble stone.
2. Advantages and disadvantages of artificial stone
- The surface of the artificial stone is not easy to fade, and it also has the texture of natural stone, and the decoration is very good. In addition, its appearance has no gaps, it is not easy to enter the water, the water absorption rate is low, the anti-fouling and anti-dirty effect is very good, and it is more convenient to clean!
- Artificial stone is also a stone, has a certain wear resistance, and its service life is relatively long. And the stone has a certain temperature resistance, if used as a countertop, it is very durable!
- The artificial stone itself is artificially manufactured, and its plasticity is very strong. It can manufacture various colors of stone according to market demand. The decoration effect is also very good.
- Although artificial stone is artificially manufactured, its raw materials are natural materials such as stone powder and resin. It is not necessary to incorporate harmful substances during construction. Therefore, artificial stone is relatively green and environmentally friendly!
- Poor shrinkage performance. After all, artificial stone is made of stone powder, and the shrinkage performance is poor. If the temperature difference between hot and cold is frequent, it is easy to crack and damage.
- High temperature is easy to make artificial stone tarnish. If the artificial stone is used as the countertop of the cabinet, then it is best not to put the overheated appliance on the surface of the stone. Otherwise, the long-term high temperature will make the stone lose its luster and affect the appearance!
- It’s not easy to chip or scratch engineered stone, but if it does happen, it can be quite difficult to repair. Also, seams can be more noticeable with engineered stones than with natural stones, so if you’re having engineered stone installed, ask where they’ll be placed and why before you go ahead with the installation process.
3. Three most popular type of artificial stones
Artificial quartz stone, also known as quartz-based artificial stone, is an artificial stone formed from a mixture of 93% natural quartz stone powder aggregate, can also add glass powder, 7% polymer component binders, additives and colorants.
Quartz stone has many outstanding features such as: hard to chip, scratch resistant, good heat resistance, easy to clean, easy to maintain, high-grade stone surface is also antibacterial, safe for health.
Artificial marble is made up of 90% natural limestone aggregate, crushed sand, glass powder and 7% binder, usually resin glue, colorants and other additives…
The production process of artificial marble is similar to that of artificial quartz: preparing aggregates, mixing aggregates, mixing aggregates and binders, additives, and coloring agents in a fixed ratio, then adding into the press and then cut into pieces, or put into the mold to press into stone slabs. Final step and polish and cut to standard proportions.
Artificial marble has the same hardness as natural marble, less water absorption, but not as durable to heat and UV rays as natural stone and it is easy to scratch and chip, so it requires high construction techniques, needs attention to maintenance to keep its original beauty, affected by strong acid foods.
Artificial Solid Surface
Artificial Solid Surface Stone is made of a mixture of ATH (alumina trihydrate), acrylic, epoxy or polyester resins and colorants with a ratio of about 55- 65% aggregate, 30-35% binder, other ingredients about 4 -5%, depending on the manufacturer.
Some famous brands of Solid Surface stone production are: Corian, Montelli, Lotte Staron, Avonite, LG Hi-MACS, Hanex, Krion, Tristone. Due to its bending, waterproof and rich colors and patterns, so the slab form, Solid Surface stone is also used to cast bathtubs, washbasins, lavabo, etc, …
Solid Surface stone easily bends the surface and is easy to cut to increase aesthetics, the bearing capacity, abrasion resistance, heat resistance are not too good, if used for kitchen countertops, note to avoid leaving tools. Cooking is at high heat up the stone surface.
4. Applications of artificial stone
Artificial stone is different from the natural lighter weight and ease of mounting, which enhances the possibility of its application in the interiors of both public and residential buildings. It is used for external cladding of buildings, and for interior walls, columns, individual elements of the interior. Another field of application of artificial stone – is facing fireplaces. But in this case it should be remembered that, unlike natural stone can not be laid in such a way that it is in contact with the heated surface.
>> Learn more: Things to Know about Artificial Marble and Natural Marble